We are pleased to announce the winners of the most watched poster/prerecorded videos from each of the 8 topic categories. The winning videos garnered between 240 – 472 views (!!!) up to the last day of the conference. The winners will receive a certificate and a cash award of 100 USD. All conference registrants can still view the videos by logging into the conference website (see instructions below).
Mechanical Instability of Multilayer Graphene and the Effects of Substrate
Upendra Yadav, Revanth Mattey, and Susanta Ghosh
Michigan Technological University, Houghton, Michigan
Engineered Heart Muscle with Defined Levels of Prestress
Ghiska Ramahdita1,3, Daniel Simmons2,3, Jingxuan Guo1,3, David Schuftan2,3, Guy M. Genin1,3, Nathaniel Huebsch1,3
1Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, Washington University in St Louis
2Department of Biomedical Engineering, Washington University in St Louis
3NSF Science and Technology Center for Engineering Mechanobiology, Washington University in St Louis
Transient Creep-Fatigue Crack Growth in Creep-Ductile and Creep-Brittle Materials
Joshua Pribe, Thomas Siegmund
Characterization of the Large Deformation Plasticity of Pure Lithium Foil
Juner Zhu1, Tobias Sedlatschek2, Junhe Lian3, Wei Li1, Menglei Jiang1, Tomasz Wierzbicki1, Martin Z. Bazant1
1Massachusetts Institute of Technology
2Massachusetts Institute of Technology, RWTH Aachen University
3Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Aalto University
Handheld fans: the fluid-structure interaction of flapping foils
Armelle Keiser1,2, Pierre Leroy-Calatayud1, Pedro Reis1, Karen Mulleners2
1Flexible Structure Laboratory, Institute of Mechanical Engineering, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
2UNFoLD, Institute of Mechanical Engineering, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
A machine learning based computational framework for designing novel multifunctional materials
Mohammad Saber Hashemi1, Masoud Safdari2, Azadeh Sheidaei1
1Aerospace Engineering Department, Iowa State University
2University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Aerospace Engineering Department
Substrate-free dissipative reconfigurable metamaterials
Romik Khajehtourian, Dennis M Kochmann
Mechanics & Materials Lab, Department of Mechanical and Process Engineering, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
A Kirchhoff-like theory for hard magnetic rods under three-dimensional geometrically nonlinear deformation
Tomohiko G Sano, Matteo Pezzulla, Pedro M. Reis
Flexible Structures Laboratory, EPFL, Switzerland
We would like to acknowledge the important contributions of all the session chairs (below), and give special thanks to Marcelino Anguiano Chavez (PhD candidate, UIUC) and Prof. Ruike Zhao (OSU). The success of the conference was largely due to their dedication. The chairs spent time before the conference to train on how to use the online platform. During the conference, they helped speakers solved a myriad of technical issues, as well as moderating the sessions. Thank you very much for your hard work and quick thinking.
Morressier has created a web portal for the Virtual Technical meeting. You can access the prerecorded talks and recorded live sessions at https://www.morressier.com. Once you are logged in, click the event name “SES Virtual 2020” on the left menu under “My Conferences”. This will bring you to the conference site where you will see a Sessions (live presentation, now recorded) and Submissions (pre-recorded videos/posters) tabs.
*All times listed in the program are in US Eastern Daylight Time (GMT-4)
Thank you for attending the conference. See you next year in Minnesota.
• Advances in Nanomechanics,
• Biomechanics & Biomaterials from Nano to Macro
• Damage & Failure of Materials
• Frontiers in Mechanics of Materials
• Granular Physics & Geomechanics/Mechanics & Physics of Fluids
• Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence in Engineering Science
• Metamaterials & Architected Solids & Manufacturing
• Soft & Active Materials & Applications in Soft Robotics
2) Meet with the NSF MOMS program managers: Sign up using this link for a 15 minute one-on-one meeting with Drs. Nakhiah Goulbourne or Siddiq Qidwai on 9/29 from 2:30 – 4:00 PM EDT via Zoom. This event is open to all SES members who are currently an independent investigator working in the US. Conference registration is not required. Once the slots are filled, we will contact you for the Zoom link. Availability is first come, first served.
3) Career development panel discussion: This event will be held on 9/29 12:30 – 2:00 PM EDTand is open to the general SES community. Conference registration is not required. You can join the panel discussion at the scheduled time by clicking on this link.
4) SES Annual Members meeting: Please join me at the Annual Members Meeting on 9/30 1:00 – 1:15 PM EDT to discuss the current and future activities of SES. The meeting is open only to conference attendees and you can join the meeting from the Morressier conference website.
5) Virtual Reception: Please join us at the Virtual Reception on 9/30 1:15 – 2:00pm EDT, where we will present the 2020 awards to the awardees, announce the winners of the most viewed poster/pre-recorded presentation competition, and give an update on the 2021 Annual Technical Meeting organized by University of Minnesota and present the location for the 2022 Annual Technical Meeting.The meeting is open only to conference attendees and you can join the meeting from the Morressier conference website.
Owing to the short amount time, the above schedule is final and extensions of deadlines are not expected. We therefore encourage you to submit your contributions and register at your earliest convenience.
If you have any questions about the conference organization, abstract submission, registration, and video/poster submission process, please contact the Conference Chair, Hanqing Jiang ([email protected]).
We look forward to your contributions and to (virtually) seeing you on September 29-October 1, 2020.
Chair: Hanqing Jiang, Arizona State University
Co-Chairs: Markus Buehler, MIT
Arif Masud, UIUC
Dennis Kochmann, ETH Zurich
Yihui Zhang, Tsinghua University
Communications: Anna Tarakanova, UConn